search the web

Parenting Search

Sunday, January 25, 2009

Second baby coming?

OK, so this is not exactly a review, just a musing of sorts.

Before having Emily, I never even considered having just one child. I even wanted twins, and would have welcomed them. But now, I'm not so sure.

My daughter just turned 2 and of course everyone's starting to ask. . ."when's the second one coming?," which is a bit annoying, because the HONEST answer to that is complex:
1) I don't know
2) In fact, I don't know if I even want a second one
3) What's it to you?

Somebody even told me recently that you haven't really experienced being a parent until you have either a boy or more than one kid. Yeah right. I wish you had told me that when Emily was still an infant and not sleeping through the night. Or when I had to run to my car to breastfeed because she HAD to have the boob. . .NOW. Or when we went to New York and Emily got up at 2 AM with a 106 fever so we had to find a pediatrician in the middle of Brooklyn.

And the years that are coming? the birds and the bees talk, the tweens, the teens, the financial drains of a "quince," or "sweet sixteen," (we'll see what she prefers), the wedding? The sadness. . .and joys of an empty nest. You're going to tell me that because she's a girl or only child, I will not have experienced "parenthood? Come on!

But anyway, on to the real topic. I'm in my thirties. I'm having a great time with my ONE kid -- but I certainly have my hands full. And, oh yeah, the economy SUCKS with no end in sight.

Following conventional wisdom, I've considered this issue carefully by making a list of pros and cons . The pros are of course, all centered around Emily: It's nice to grow up with siblings, she'll learn that the world doesn't revolve around her, etc, etc. They "need" a sibling. I have to say that the most convincing argument came from someone who said to me that on Sunday mornings, to hear the giggles of the kids running around the house, playing with each other is just priceless.

The cons, are all things that apply to me. I don't have a lot of time. I'm in my thirties and have lost all the baby weight. I won't be able to stay at home with the new baby as I did with the first (I stayed at home 100% until she turned 1, and then worked part-time with my husband, which eventually turned to full time). It's not that I don't want to stay home and breastfeed all day again, and sing and swing. It's just that we're in a different situation now. I need to work. I'd feel guilty not being able to do it the same way (RELAX! I'm not criticizing those of you who have an infant and work. You gotta do what you gotta do)

I recently downloaded a study on how being an only child affect personality. I haven't read it yet, but rest assured I'll put my thoughts here when I do.

It's funny, because as the youngest of 3, I don't have first hand experience about only children, so every time I find one, I interrogate them. . ."did you grow up wishing you had siblings?" "would you have only one child yourself?

For the most part, my very unscientific research tells me that most WOULD have wanted siblings (although I'm sure there's people with siblings that will tell you they could have done without them!). However, my glimmer of hope is the mom of one of my daughter's friends from preschool. What she told me is very true: It really depends on how you're raised. An only child can grow up without being spoiled, without a sense of entitlement and grateful for the love and things she gets. IT depends on how you raise your kid. I know a lot of kids with siblings who are spoiled little brats.

My next step? I'll read that study and tell you what I think. So far, I'm leaning toward Emily growing up an only princess. WHAT DO YOU THINK? Do you have more than one? Are you an only child? What can you tell me?

No comments:

Post a Comment